YouTube VR finally gets its launch on Oculus Go
We’ve had to wait a while – but YouTube VR is now finally available on the Oculus Go.
The plans were first announced in September at Oculus Connect. As the company put it at the time: “Oculus Go is showing people new ways to enjoy their favourite movies and TV shows. With Oculus TV and apps like Netflix, Hulu and Pluto TV, Oculus Go has become the go-to personal theatre and living room for all kinds of media lovers.
“We’re excited to announce that YouTube VR is coming soon to Oculus Go, bringing more than 800,000 VR videos on a variety of subjects to the platform, from nature documentaries to the latest 360 degree concerts.”
The YouTube app includes spatial audio, easy switching between voice and keyboard controls, as well as full 360 degree immersion.
The move to finally bring YouTube to the Oculus Go, with its starting price of $199 is one thing. Yet, as The Verge noted, perhaps the acid test may be whether it ships with the Oculus Quest. The Quest was announced to great fanfare in September with a launch next year, with analyst firm Digi-Capital saying at the time that while it was the ‘ultimate expression of the early-stage VR 1.0 market’, it may not be the market catalyst it is expected to be when it does launch.
You can find out more about YouTube VR for Oculus Go here.
Interested in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this and sharing their use-cases? Attend the co-located IoT Tech Expo, Blockchain Expo, AI & Big Data Expo and Cyber Security & Cloud Expo World Series with upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London and Amsterdam and explore the future of enterprise technology.
- » VR and AR spending to rocket by 2023 fuelled by enterprise use cases, says IDC
- » John Lewis & Partners to trial new ‘Visualise Your Space’ virtual reality experience
- » New VR system bests ‘gold standard’ testing for detecting Alzheimer’s at early stage
- » Go beyond for blended engagement: Why mixed reality offers a compelling future
- » Analogix Semiconductor aims to support VR experiences for gaming notebooks with new offering