Pimax launches 8K VR headset
VR hardware developers Pimax has announced of their new 200° FOV 8K VR headset. The headset is set to be the most graphically advanced headset on available on the market.
The company turned heads with the release of the first 4K headset, which was recognised as the best VR product at CES Asia 2016.
The new headset looks to double the field of view to 200°, which almost matches the human view of 220°. It will also offer six time the resolution of other mainstream headsets.
According to the company, the headset will present no lag while viewing panoramic images and videos, and also reduces the ‘screen door effect’.
‘Closing the gap’
"The 8K VR headset allows people to become a part of the ultra-high definition environment, by digitizing 2D illustrations from a screen and transforming the very environment around you, invoking a whole new level of emotion while in this 3D virtual space,” Pimax Founder & CEO, Robin Weng said.
“The 4K was a brilliant breakthrough, and we have grown from that into the next step with the 8K headset, bringing a more genuine realism to virtual reality. We are closing the gap between reality and the digital world."
The technical specifications for the new headset are:
- 200 degrees field of view
- 2*3840x2160, 16.6 million pixels in total resolution
- MTP (Motion To Photon) Latency: <15ms
- Refresh rate: 75/90Hz per eye (support 150/180Hz with Brainwarp)
- GTX980/1070 or AMD R9 Nano processors, equivalent and above
- DP1.4, USB 3.0 interface
- Seated VR, standing VR, room-scale positional tracking, hand Motion (optional)
- PiHome/Steam/Oculus Home (with a third-party tool) content
- 2x3.5 mm audio jack, stereo sound earphones
- Adjustable headset strap/headband, auto-demisting system, fits glasses/customized VR frame, IPD (Interpupillary distance) adjustment.
Pimax is currently aiming to raised $200,000 in funding on Kickstarter, with prices beginning at $399.
Interested in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this and sharing their use-cases? Attend the co-located IoT Tech Expo, Blockchain Expo, AI & Big Data Expo and Cyber Security & Cloud Expo World Series with upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London and Amsterdam and explore the future of enterprise technology.